Saturday, February 28, 2009

home once again

I am never ever doing that again without dragging Ryan along, he deserves to share in the full torture that is a therapy trip to Denver. As miserable as it was, it was beneficial. Madeline completed 10 hours of language therapy at the new center, which I love by the way. I am so proud of her. She did 2 hours each day, refusing to take breaks, behaved her age there (which doesn't always happen) and responded very well to the program. 

The main therapist is wonderful, she has been doing this for many years and is a great resource. I feel privileged to have someone with her experience guiding us. She worked with Madeline herself half the time and another therapist the rest. They used this program on Madeline: http://www.lindamoodbell.com/programs/lips.html with great success. It's the only program that focuses on the mouth piece while breaking down the phonemic awareness. We are stopping focusing on letters and instead only working with the sounds they make. In those 10 hours, Madeline went from not knowing a single one to knowing 10! Apparently children with weak route memory usually respond very well to this particular program, and that was certainly our experience. 

Once again we are home and I'm struggling to figure out what to do now. The center sent me home with a giant binder to continue working with her at home, but I'm doubtful. I consider myself an intelligent person but this program is not easy. I barely grasped it when they were explaining it to me. We also will be returning to Denver this summer for a 80-100 hour intensive program to continue the therapy. When is up in the air, it might be much sooner after this baby is born then I'd like. The center is very flexible and have told me just to let them know when we can come. After spending a week in a suite hotel with two small children, I will do almost anything not to do that for 3+ weeks. The owner of the townhouse that we have rented previously, normally only rents it out to families working through that center, but because she knows me, she will rent it out to me during her slow months if there no previous long term bookings. Those slow months are looking to be June or September. September is too far away, I'd hate to put off Madeline's therapy for that long, very early June isn't that far off from April so that part bites. We will see what happens, she can't commit to give me the townhouse, and if I don't get it then I'd rather go in July or August. This time I WILL be dragging Ryan along for part of the time, I will not ask my mom to go with me again, she is thoroughly over traveling with my children, can't say I blame her!

No comments: