Friday, April 17, 2009

canceled!

And it feels so good. I'm referring to the 3 week therapy trip in Denver I had booked for June. Everything has fallen into place for services here so I have no need to travel right now. The private language therapist agreed today to take Madeline as a client. This woman is amazing, we are incredibly fortunate that she took an interest in Madeline and decided she wanted to work with her. We are starting in May 4-5 days a week, she has several trips planned this summer so our entire summer won't revolve around it, but enough. She also is insisting that she is coming to our house to do the therapy, she lives 40 minutes away one way, she kept telling me that I'm the one that will have the new baby, she can do the driving. Did I mention how wonderful she is yet?!


Her goal for Madeline this summer is to have her be able to print her name, and recognize most of the alphabet before she starts first grade. After careful consideration, we've decided to stop working with Madeline on printing, other then her name, the therapist will only teach her cursive right now instead. Madeline has fine motor issues, she can not hold a pencil correctly (this is something she will also address), printing with it's fine lines is painful for Madeline. Cursive with it's loopy form is something that she should be able to do easier, and printing can be taught later. We are hoping that this type of therapy program will improve her speech, eliminating the need for speech therapy. We can't say for sure that it will, she has had success with students similar to Madeline. They spend a decent amount of time of the mouth portion of language and that can help improve some speech issues. We are willing to give it some time and see what happens. Worst possible case, we end up doing speech therapy.

I did mention first grade, Madeline got accepted today at our second choice school! I've spoken with the private dyslexia school just the other day, it will likely be an option for 2nd grade. They would prefer that she have one year of school somewhere else before coming to them, this other school is all that I could of hoped for without specializing in dyslexia. Our private therapist will go there for 60 minutes a day to work with Madeline. The school is not to do any instruction in reading/writing with her and they are fine doing that. As soon as baby is born, the teacher is going to work with us getting Madeline comfortable in the classroom this year. We'll start by bringing her in after school, and working up to brining her in during recess. We can spend a decent amount of time with her there during school hours. Parents are encouraged to come for lunch, they have a weekly afternoon "wilderness day" which is hiking, snowshoeing, etc... which they love parents to attend, in addition to field trips, etc...

Madeline doesn't know she is for sure attending school next year. It has been mentioned to her and she has responded with nothing less then sheer terror. It is not going to be easy,  but I have no other choices. I wish more then anything that things were different that I could keep her home with me which is where she desperately wants to be, but her special needs are too great. I know this is what we have to do but it doesn't stop me from feeling like my heart is being ripped out she is crying over anyone mentioning the very idea of school to her. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry she's not more excited about school! I can't believe I said that... but you know what I mean. I suppose it's ultimately a compliment to you, but there's nothing fun about having to send her away when you'd prefer to keep her close. I just wish it would be easier on you both. I hope things really come around with the preparation to help her get into the idea. Awesome you won't have to worry about the trip to Denver! :)