Monday, March 9, 2009

work at my speed people

Blah! For two weeks I have been trying to organize another therapy trip to Denver this summer. I don't want to be committing to such a trip, 3 weeks, before this baby is even born but time matters. Anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel with small children knows that it sucks, I will do almost anything not to have to do that with 3 children now for 3 weeks. The townhouse that I had rented before is primarily reserved for families of the Star Center, which isn't where we are doing therapy through anymore. The woman that owns it had agreed to rent it to me during her non-busy months which is usually June or September. That house rents out fast and a week ago, May 31st-June 20 was open and she was willing to give it to me. The problem being that the center we have been working through doesn't book out that far in advance so it's been two weeks of me pestering them trying to get a yes or no. I *should* have an answer today, only as of last night, the town house had a reservation for June 14th and on so I've already lost a week there.


To add to the confusion is the gut wrenching decision that we very well might send Madeline to school next year and then maybe not need to travel this summer. There is a very small private school here that only accepts dyslexic or gifted students, and I do mean small, 22 students this year. This school would be our only option for Madeline to work with qualified therapists in our area and not have to travel. The school doesn't use the same program she has been working with in Denver but another one that is highly accredited for dyslexics, Orton Gillingham. Madeline has been responding very well to the Linda-Mood Bell LIPS program so it would require a switch and we'd have to hope that OG works for her.


I never thought that I would be considering sending her to school, I had always planned on homeschooling my children. For those of you that don't know, I homeschooled myself for 3 years of high school and swore up and down that I'd give the same to my children. I just wasn't expecting to have a child like Madeline, i can't meet her needs at home. If we lived somewhere different, with more resources, and I could get qualified therapists working with her, then I believe that we could still homeschool, but we don't and moving isn't an option because of Ryan's work. I'm let to work with what I have available in my area, which isn't much. The only people that could work with her are employed at this school, otherwise I have to keep on traveling. Traveling isn't feasible forever, it is highly expensive, our living expenses to do so cost more then the therapy does. 1-3 weeks here and there isn't enough, I can and am working with her at home but the programs are not easy to learn, it really takes a therapist trained in them to be able to do them. At Liberty, the dyslexic students receive extensive tutoring 1 on 1 in the afternoons in addition to the school following the OG program.


Schools don't work at lightening speed so we've been playing phone tag and talking to them. They agreed to set up an appointment for us, but now want all of her testing info first to look over, after that, maybe an interview. Sigh. Meanwhile I feel that I have to continue to arrange the therapy in Denver for the summer because I don't know if Madeline going to Liberty School will happen and if I abandon therapy plans then it will be too late and we'll be left waiting for months again. Oddly enough, the tuition for the school year is less then we've paid for therapy last year because they rely heavily on fundraising and volunteers.

No comments: