Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm so tired

I'm tired of piecing together services, of fighting the system and people to get services, of constantly having to search out random people to hopefully get a referral to someone else that can help me. I'm tired but I can see it's only just beginning still. We had a meeting with the private school today, while they agree Madeline is dyslexic, they are reluctant to enroll her for the next school year. I understand their concerns and agree, they are valid, I would of been raising them as well. Madeline is the sole applicant so far for 1st grade for the 09/10 school year, to add to the issue, they have no 1st grade students this school year. The school is very small and most children are not diagnosed with dyslexia until they are older, I understand why after how hard it has been to get testing performed on Madeline. The school would not want Madeline to be the youngest child for two grades, I wouldn't want her to be either, as sensitive as she is, she would not fare well there. Hopefully they will get more students, but we can't count on it, and it could be something that we won't know for months so I have to move on to another plan.


After contacting another local mom, I have the contact into of a private tutor that might be willing to work with us on some issues. This might be the only solution for another school year that we have. which brings us to our next issue, the local company that contracts to the school district for services like speech, OT. The law states in CO that all students regardless of schooling (home, public, private) are entitled to services, the company is telling me otherwise. I finally got a meeting with them next week, I'm not hopeful that even if we get them to evaluate, that they will find anything. They have evaluated Madeline a couple of years ago and came back with nothing, hence the reason we have gone privately for everything up to this point. My major stumbling block is speech therapy, they are the only ones that offer it, and I want it for Madeline. I'm considering hiring an advocate to come to the meeting with us, someone who is familiar with the system and knows what to push for. Worse possible case, we'll have to do speech therapy in Denver, I already have that three week trip booked in June at the center, they also do speech therapy. It might be easier to just travel and pay for it then battling the school district but I'm going to try first.

No comments: