Friday, May 1, 2009

gymnastics



Madeline has been taking gymnastics for 2 years now. It quickly became her favorite activity, one that she excels at. One sentence I didn't envision myself saying was, "No practicing cartwheels down the street or parking lot."

I was getting ready to ask that she be moved up to more advanced classes when her anxiety started last summer. Instead I had to ask that I be allowed in the gym with Madeline so she could continue to take classes. Early this year I asked the head coach to move her up and was told that none of those classes were appropriate for my child. The only interaction Madeline or I had ever had with that coach had been when I asked to attend the classes with her for a period of time.
Madeline just completed another 8 weeks session of classes, this time her coach was the only only coach at the gym that can move children up in levels. I was told on the last day of class that Madeline needs to be in the next level and should of been moved some time ago. Finally! 
She started taking classes two days a week this year, but it was piecing together a tumbling/trampoline class and then an advanced beginner girls class. Now she will go 2 days a week year around to an intermediate class. Madeline is thrilled that she finally gets to learn some new skills. And in this class, she can continue to move up, before we reached the limit of what I could enroll her in without a coach's approval. 
Gabrielle loves trying to copy her big sister, and begs to "go too". When she turns 3, she can take classes by herself. Before then there are only classes where I have to attend as well, not happening with other children around. 
Until then, I make sure I take her to the open gym that the gym has every Friday during the school year. She has a little friend that she meets there, they run around holding hands and playing on the equipment. It is too cute. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay for Madeline! That's awesome that she has something that comes so naturally to her and that she's finally getting some extra encouragement to keep working at it! She deserves that with all the hard work she does! How great for you that there's something everyone can just relax and enjoy and encourage her in. :)