Wednesday, July 30, 2008

what's for dinner

Dinner is something I have struggled with since becoming pregnant with Gabrielle. I didn't have severe morning sickness, but nothing sounded good and I knew if I even smelled anything that I would be sick.  So I didn't cook! Then we remodeled a house, Gabrielle was born, and was ill.... For a few weeks here and there I have been on top of things, planned ahead, and made dinner most nights but it has never lasted long. I really want to change that!


For several months now I've been working on buying mostly what's on sale at the grocery store. Every week I sit down with the sales page and create my grocery list. I'm starting to learn the rotation of the store I shop at, I knew that every so many weeks certain things come on sale. I'm getting decent at buying enough of that item until it comes on sale again. What I'm not good at is creating meals off of those items for the week. I end up with all sorts of food but no idea what to do with it, so I end up piecing meals together, when I bother to cook at all that is. 


My plan is to plan out all my meals when I write out my list so I know exactly what to get and what I'm going to cook for the week. Another major issue is that after 8 years of cooking many of the same recipes over and over again, I'm tired of them, so I need new ones, quick and easy ones at that. I'm hoping to use my crockpot a lot more, or find meals that I can prepare ahead and then quickly cook up. Once activities start in September, we have 3 nights a week where I don't get home until everyone is hungry and tired. Now off to find a recipe for chicken in the crockpot for tomorrow's dinner....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey Lady!

THIS is a post I can truly identify with. Just trying to figure out cooking, meals, and planning menu for more than one afternoon at a time here, as well. Two websites that have helped me out a little bit (from Tribe, actually, and 2 other gfs love them now too..) www.hillbillyhousewife.com and www.thehomeschoolmom.com The hs mom has the added bonus of talking ways to involve your kids in the cooking - I think. The hb hw has a lot of really good recipes, great ways to save $$ and is just very down to earth and enjoyable to read. So far everyone loves all the recipes.

Maybe a bit long for a comment, but hey. :D Had to do it while it was on my mind! Wish I was still in CO - maybe there would be something I could do to help out with the therapy/travelling to Denver! :(